[I suppose the guy who need this will be able to read this article]
I have a shared host on Bluehost.com, and want to have a lot of python libraries and applications to work on it.
Since it’s a shared host, I can’t install python libs, while I love ez_setup so much, I can’t live on python world without it.
Knowing from python-cn group, that I could build and use my own python on it. I should have got this solution earlier, this might be simple and naive for linux users.
OK, now let’s do it:
1. you must have shell access, please contact the bluehost support for a shell access
2. my dev box is windows xp, so I use putty, to connect my host 2maomao.com
3. then use wget to download latest python, unzip it
wget http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5.2/Python-2.5.2.tgz tar xvzf Python-2.5.2.tgz
4. this step is critical, you need to replace “twomaom1” to your own user name below:
cd Python-2.5.2 ./configure --prefix=/home/twomaom1/mypython --enable-unicode=ucs4 make make install
5. now, let’s use the new python instead of the old one, you need to
a). cd ~
b). use any editor(I use vim), to edit your “.bashrc” file, add the following line at the end of the file
export PATH=/home/twomaom1/mypython/bin/:$PATH export PYTHONPATH="/home/twomaom1/mypython/lib/python2.5:$PYTHONPATH"
6. now type “bash” and enter to refresh the shell, type “python -V” to view the python version.
You should already been successful.
from now on, easy_install or “python setup.py”, it’s your choice 🙂
Oh…don’t forget, in your python script, use the correct python path in the head, like mine:
Enjoy it ~!
Main Reference: Custom Python installation for Django on Dreamhost